Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Different - but good.

This trip has been so different from what I thought it would be. Wednesday I just literally sat in the same spot, on a chair, all day holding kids. Well really only two kids. The first one, who I call Tub because I can’t remember or pronounce his name for the life of me, fell asleep in my arms and just stayed there snoring and drooling away for several hours. The next one was Zodwa, all she wanted to do was sit in my arms. It was super cold, and all she had on was a thin little jacket, so she just sat in my arms as I tried to keep her warm. And she didn’t want to do anything else. I have built some solid relationships and now everyday they come right up to me with big smiles on their faces. It makes my day. Holding the kids for 4 hours gave me a lot of time to think. My brain can’t help but think if maybe these kids or someone in their family have HIV. Or if their only meal is here at the carepoint. Or wonder if they have ever been held before. But yet they are still so happy and full of life. Holding the kids for 4 hours made me think back so, so many months ago when I was applying for the trip. We had to write an essay on why we wanted to go to Swaziland. One reason I wanted to come was to hold kids who have never been held before. And I did just that on Wednesday. All day. Much love,

KK!

No comments:

Post a Comment