Wednesday, July 27, 2011

First Impressions

Arriving at the care point today for the first time, and possibly last time of my life was very exciting. Finally after years of praying for these people I have the incredible opportunity to actually see their faces. I have to admit, I was anticipating a lot of shy and timid children. Thankfully we were greeted with a group of smiling faces. Immediately I had a little girl in my arms, with her head on my shoulder. I hardly had time to take it in before three more huddled around my knees. I didn’t really think about it, instead I just jumped in. Connecting with the kids seemed natural to me. I don’t usually think twice about scooping a pouty baby into my arms, or initiating a game with active kids. Chasing toddlers around to grasp them in a tickle-filled embrace one minute, then rocking another child the next was fun, but tiring. I couldn’t help but think about my own siblings during this time. Before I knew it I was kissing them goodbye and hopping into the bus with the rest of the team.

When I look back at all the people I met, I wonder what they must be feeling. I can’t just walk up to one of the girls and ask about her past, or what she really meant behind that vague “fine” or “good” response in my common “how are you?” question. I sincerely mean it, and am ready to listen for a deeper answer. Unfortunately trust just isn’t built in a simple question, but in time. How can 6 days build a trusting relationship? I don’t know. Maybe I won’t build a relationships solid enough to include a life story from them. That’s okay. God will do His will in the next week, regardless of whether or not my hopes of a trusting relationship with an individual this week is fulfilled. I don’t know what God is planning to do in my heart this week, or in the hearts of the kids at the care point. Nevertheless, I’m excited!

Quote of the day: “Even if one of those kids was the last person on earth, Jesus would still have come to die for him.” _ Logan Jones.

Family- I MISS YOU! ☺ Kent, I met all the kids you talked about and gave them your pictures. Ricky got his letter, too.
~Grace

No comments:

Post a Comment